Thursday, March 20, 2008

California Budget Woes

I love my job and feel fortunate to be able to say that after all these years. But this is a tough time to be a teacher. Tomorrow everyone at my school will be wearing either pink or black. Pink for the teachers who don't have jobs next year, and black for those showing support for the pink-attired teachers. (Get the pink-slip connection?) Among my colleagues in the regular English program upper grade, I am the only survivor. Morale is very low, stress is high. Please contact Governor Schwarzenegger and your state legislators to tell them their so-called solution to the budget crisis is unacceptable. California is already 46th in the nation in per-pupil spending! Do we really need to slide all the way to the bottom?

California Teachers Association



3 comments:

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

You go mom, get the word out! Welcome to your new addiction. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you mom. And now we are a blogging family. Fun.

suz said...

I'm wearing black today to protest the budget cuts for education. Well, I'm not really wearing black because I'm working in the garden, but mentally I am. Love your blog and will visit regularly. And love the great artwork too!